Winter Solstice is one of the most important festivities held in Prythian. It occurs on the longest night of the year. The main celebration is in the Winter Court and the Day Court, although all the Courts celebrate it. It is unclear if the holiday originated in the Winter Court or in the Day Court, therefore both Courts claim it to be their holiest festivity. Winter Solstice is also largely celebrated in the Night Court because it falls during the longest night of the year. The celebrations have the purpose of escorting people from one year to another as the sun died and was born anew.
During the celebrations, people decorate with evergreen wreaths and garlands and exchange gifts.
Winter Solstice is also celebrated in the Mortal Lands where the highest classes attend balls and parties, that Feyre's mother loved to organize and attend, and decorate their houses with holly and evergreens.
Feyre participates in the Winter Solstice ceremony that takes place in the Spring Court. It consists of three days of feasting, drinking, and exchanging small presents, culminating in two long and rather odious religious ceremonies on the top of a hill. One at sunset to begin the endless night and honor the old sun's death, and one the following dawn to welcome the sun's rebirth. The ceremony culminates with the High Priestess standing with her arms upraised, the sun rising and filling them with light.
Feyre celebrates the Winter Solstice in the Night Court where they don't have great ceremonies, but they simply pass their day drinking and exchanging gifts in the presence of friends and family.
- The Winter Solstice is the equivalent of our Christmas.
- Feyre's birthday falls on the Winter Solstice.
- During her first Winter Solstice in Prythian Feyre receives a paint set as a present from Tamlin and a bejeweled sheath for her knife from Lucien.
- During her second Winter Solstice in Prythian Feyre receives a sketchbook, satchel, and scarf from Rhysand, he later reveals to her his true present, an estate by the Sidra.
- Feyre gives two presents to Rhys: the first is the painting she made of herself in her beast form she saw in the Mirror of Ouroboros. As for the second gift, she announces to Rhys that she is ready and wants to have a baby with him, letting him see the vision of the Bone Carver with the appearance of their future son.
- For Winter Solstice Cassian and Mor exchange sexy lingerie as presents.
- As a tradition Cassian, Rhys, and Azriel have an annual snowball fight at the cabin.