Winnowing is the name given to the ability to transport oneself to a different location. This power is not tied to any court, like other powers, but can be performed by both fae and mortals. It is dependent on the user's own reserve of power and training. Certain locations such as the House of Wind are protected against people winnowing directly inside.
- The word "Winnowing" in real life can refer to: blowing a current of air through grain in order to remove the chaff, or remove (people or things) from a group until only the best ones are left. It can also refer to the wind. 
- Azriel is also able to teleport to different areas, however, this is because of his abilities as a shadowsinger rather than the ability to winnow
- A Court of Mist and Fury (First appearance)
- A Court of Wings and Ruin
- A Court of Frost and Starlight