This power is not tied to any court, like other powers. It is dependent on the user's own reserve of power and training. Certain locations such as the House of Wind are protected against people winnowing directly inside.
This power is first shown in A Court of Thorns and Roses when Lucien Vanserra disappears from Feyre Archeron's cell in Under the Mountain but is not emphasized or given a precise name. It appears again in A Court of Mist and Fury when Rhysand breaks into the Spring Court on the wedding day of Tamlin and Feyre to take the latter with him to the Night Court as part of his bargain with her at Under the Mountain.
- Eris Vanserra
- Feyre Archeron (can only winnow short distances)
- Rhysand's Father
- The High Lords (all High Lords can winnow)
- The Mortal Queens (ability granted to them by the Fae after the signing of the Treaty, it only works in the presence of several of them)
- The word "Winnowing" in real life can refer to blowing a current of air through grain in order to remove the chaff, or remove (people or things) from a group until only the best ones are left. It can also refer to the wind.
- Azriel is also able to teleport to different areas, however, this is because of his abilities as a shadowsinger rather than the ability to winnow.