|This article is not part of the A Court of Thorns and Roses universe.
This article covers a subject that is part of the real world, and thus should not be taken as a part of the A Court of Thorns and Roses universe.
Life and career
|This section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Sarah Janet Maas was born on March 5, 1986 in New York City, New York. She attended Hamilton College in Clinton, New York, where she majored in creative writing and minored in religious studies, graduating Magna Cum Laude in 2008. She is married and lives in Pennsylvania with her husband, son, and dog. Maas is a writer of young adult and adult fantasy and romance novels.
Maas began writing what would become her debut novel, Throne of Glass, when she was just sixteen years old. After writing several chapters of the novel (then titled Queen of Glass), she posted them on FictionPress.com, where it was one of the most popular stories on the site. It was later removed from the site when she decided to try to publish the novel.
In 2008, Maas started sending the story to agents before finding one in 2009. Throne of Glass was purchased in March 2010 by Bloomsbury, who later purchased two additional books in the series. The series is available in 15 countries and 23 languages. Several prequel novellas set about two years before the first novel have also been published. Maas was contracted to write six books in the series. The second book of the series, Crown of Midnight is a New York Times young adult best-seller
The storyline of the series is based on Cinderella, with the premise of "What if Cinderella was not a servant, but an assassin? And what if she didn't attend the ball to meet the prince, but to kill him, instead?"
A Court of Thorns and Roses, Maas' second series, is a loose retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The first book of the trilogy was written in 2009 but wasn't published until 2015. In September 2015 it was announced that the Mark Gordon Company had acquired television rights for Throne of Glass. But the rights fell through and Sarah is now on the look for someone new to take on the project.
Throne of Glass series
- The Assassin's Blade
- Throne of Glass (2012)
- Crown of Midnight (2013)
- Heir of Fire (2014)
- Queen of Shadows (2015)
- Empire of Storms (2016)
- Tower of Dawn (2017)
- Kingdom of Ash (2018)
A Court of Thorns and Roses series
- A Court of Thorns and Roses (2015)
- A Court of Mist and Fury (2016)
- A Court of Wings and Ruin (2017)
- A Court of Frost and Starlight (2018)
- A Court of Silver Flames (2021)
- Catwoman: Soulstealer (2018)
Crescent City series
- The 'J' in Sarah J. Maas stands for 'Janet'. This was the name of her father's aunt. 
- Maas is an INFJ on the Myres-Briggs Personality Test. 
- Sarah used to write Sailor Moon fanfiction. It was her obsession in middle and high school. 
- Before writing, Sarah wanted to be a marine biologist. 
- Sarah has an entire shelf in her fridge dedicated to cheese. 
- Sarah was genuinely upset when on, her sixteenth birthday, no fantastical creature appeared to tell her she had magic. 
- tumblr @sjmaas: "Janet (after my dad’s beloved aunt, who was a really, really wonderful woman and passed away right before I was born)"
- tumblr @sjmaas: "I’m an INFJ! :)"
- tumblr @sjmaas: Yesssssss. Sailor Moon was pretty much my obsession in middle & high school.
- tumblr @worldofsarahjmaas: Everything You Missed at the #ACOTARParty