|“||These were women who, despite their finery, did not care if they were young or old, fat or thin, short or tall. Those things were secondary; those things were a sleight of hand.
The Mortal Queens are the six queens that rule over realms of the Mortal Lands.
At the end of the War, the immortals signed a Treaty with the Mortal Queens of the time and established the Wall. The queens were also given one half of the Book of Breathings so that they could guard it in their shining palace by the sea on the Continent.
They agree to meet with Rhysand and his Inner Circle in the Archeron family mansion, but ask for information on the sizes of the rooms, the real estate, etc. Once assembled, the five of them lie that Vassa, the sixth queen is ill and refuse to give up their part of the book and say they might consider giving it up if Rhysand showed them something good that has made.
Some time later they meet with Rhys again, but this time only two of them come. Rhysand shows them, through Veritas, the truth about Velaris and tells them that rumors of cruelty were driven by him to protect his city and its inhabitants. The queens are grateful for their confidence but still say they have to think about whether to deliver half the book or not. Before leaving, one of the queens, the oldest, shows them a letter sent by Rhysand, where he says that she loves Feyre and wants a better world where she can visit her sisters without having to face hatred. After that they leave they discover the other half of the book under the chair of the youngest queen, Demetra. She read the letter and also wants a better world. She asks them not to reveal that she gave it to them, since if the others found out they would kill them like they did with the sixth queen, who they'd been told was sick when she was actually dead.
Upon discovering that their half of the book is missing, the queens ally with Jurian, who had been resurrected with the power of the Cauldron by the King of Hybern. They tell him about Velaris and Hybern sends a legion led by the Attor to attack the city. During the attack, Demetra was murdered for giving them half of the book.
Later, when Feyre, Morrigan, Cassian, and Azriel infiltrate Hybern to power the Cauldron and are trapped by the king, the queens are present to see a demonstration of how the Cauldron could turn someone mortal immortal. When the King turns Nesta and Elain Archeron into High Fae, the queens see that they could become immortals and reign forever. Feyre vows to take revenge on them for what they did to her sisters.
The queens return to their kingdom and wait in their palace for Hybern's orders. The King's Ravens, while hunting Nesta and Feyre in the grand library of the Night Court, reveal that the queens have not yet entered the Cauldron to become Fae, as the youngest queen, Briallyn, had gone through the process to gain immortality and came out an immortal, withered crone. As a result, the rest of the queens are too scared to go near it, and Briallyn swore revenge on Nesta for her part in angering the Cauldron. After the war, the queens remain in their palace.
A Court of Silver Flames
About a year and a half since the war against Hyburn, the four remaining queens decided to plan an assault against Prythian. The three eldest fled their shared palace and went into hiding while Briallyn allied herself with Koschei to find the Cauldron, regain her youth, and seek revenge against Nesta for angering the Cauldron and punishing her for stealing its power.
- The eldest queen is brown-skinned with sharp, cold eyes, and an unbent posture despite her wrinkled face. She wore an embroidered wool dress of deepest blue.
- The first middle-aged queen wears black, has fair skin and a face hewn from granite. She frowns often and wears a silver ring.
- The second middle-aged queen wears white, has dark skin and a sweet face. She smiles often and wears a silver ring.
- The second youngest queen was perhaps a few years older than Feyre Archeron, with black hair, black eyes and careful cunning oozing from every pore. After submerging herself in the Cauldron, she transformed into a withered Fae crone. Her name was Briallyn. She was killed by Nesta on Ramiel during the Blood Rite.
- The youngest queen is the most beautiful, with riotously curly golden hair, eyes of purest amber and brown, freckled skin dusted with gold. She was described as a lion in human flesh. Named Demetra, she was murdered by her fellow queens whej they found out that she gave their part of the Book of Breathings to the Night Court. Her body was displayed during the attack on Velaris as an example of threat.
- The sixth queen is named Vassa. She was sold by the other queens to the death lord known as Koschei and cursed to become a firebird during the day. She is a beautiful woman with reddish-gold hair, thick dark lashes, freckled golden-brown skin and stunning, large, up-tilted blue eyes.
- The queens have the ability to winnow, but only when several of them are together.
- Andromache was once a mortal queen and an ancestor of Demetra.
- A Court of Thorns and Roses (mentioned)
- A Court of Mist and Fury
- A Court of Wings and Ruin
- A Court of Frost and Starlight (mentioned)
- A Court of Silver Flames
|Amarantha · Amren · Azriel · Cassian · Elain Archeron · Feyre Archeron · King of Hybern · Lucien · Morrigan · Nesta Archeron · Rhysand · Tamlin|
|Minor and supporting characters|
|Alis · Andras · Beron · Bron · Cerridwen · Clare Beddor · Cresseida · Devlon · Eris · Graysen · Feyre's father · Hart · Helion · Ianthe · Isaac Hale · Isaac Hale's wife · Jurian · Kallias · Keir · Mercenary · Miryam · Mortal Queens · Mrs. Laurent · Naga · Nuala · Unnamed Summer Court Faerie · Tarquin · The Bogge · The Bone Carver · The Suriel · Thesan · Tomas Mandray · Varian · Weaver|
|Aunt Ripleigh · Dark Mother · Drakon · Feyre's mother · Ianthe's father · Ianthe's mother · Ianthe's sisters · Miryam's father · Miryam's mother · Mother · Rhysand's father · Rhysand's mother · Rhysand's sister · Nostrus · Queen of the Black Land · Tamlin's mother · Tamlin's father|