|“||"What are...," I tried. "What are Illyrian war-bands?"
"Arrogant bastards, that's what," he muttered.
The Illyrians are a warrior race of faeries, considered by many to be a violent and warmongering people, living within the Night Court. Illyrians are not High Fae nor lesser faeries, although a lot of the High Fae consider them as nothing more than expendable aerial cavalry at best and mindless soldiers grunts at worst. Most have a negative opinion about Illyrians. They usually form war-camps depending on their views, though most camps have a rich culture with similar traditions.
In the Illyrian culture, tattoos are shown to be an important part. Once Illyrians are initiated as warriors, they are given certain tattoos for luck and glory on the battlefield. However, to become a true warrior, an Illyrian must perform a Blood Rite, where they go unarmed into the mountains without any magic with their wings bound and survive.
Illyrians do not like outsiders, especially High Fae who try to tell them what to do. They are obsessed with lineage and have their own princes and lords among them. While they are unparalleled warriors, with a culture rich in stories and traditions, they are brutal and backward, particularly in regard to how they treat their females. It's common practice to cripple their females so they can keep them for breeding. This practice is called Clipping.
When Feyre flinches hearing about how Cassian and Rhysand got lashings for picking a fight when they first met, Amren tells her that they do worse. When they do something truly bad, bones are broken, repeatedly, over weeks.
Unlike High Fae, Illyrians have rounded ears. Rhysand is the sole exception for having pointed ears, as he is half-Illyrian and half-High Fae. They generally have dark hair and golden-brown skin. Illyrians also have a pair of bat-like wings, and are trained to protect these at all costs. Some Night Court citizens view them as lesser faeries, however due to their human-like appearance, many Illyrians disagree with this assumption.
- Rhysand (half-Illyrian)
- Rhysand's mother
- Rhysand's sister (half-Illyrian)
- Azriel's half-brothers
- Azriel's father
- Azriel's stepmother
- Cassian's mother
- Cassian's father
- Nyx (3/4 Illyrian)
- Outside of the A Court of Thorns and Roses world, the Illyrians were a group of Indo-European tribes who inhabited part of the western Balkans and the southeastern coasts of the Italian peninsula. 
- The Illyrian race is strikingly similar to the Eyrian race from Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Series in regard to appearance and culture.
- On the insignia of the Night Court, the three stars atop the mountain Ramiel are called: Arktos, Carynth, and Oristes. Outside of the book world, Carynthia or Duchy of Carinthia was located in southern Austria and parts of northern Slovenia. Moreover, Oristes is similar to Orestes, a character from Greek mythology whose name is thought to have the meaning "stands on a mountain".
- A Court of Mist and Fury (First appearance)
- A Court of Wings and Ruin
- A Court of Frost and Starlight
- A Court of Silver Flames