|“||I'd never heard the specifics of what the lives of faeries or High Fae were like—never heard much about anything other than their deadly abilities and appetites.||”|
Faeries or Fae are immortal magical beings highly feared by mortals.
Types of Faeries
There are two main types of faeries:
- High Fae: humanoid Fae who were made specifically to be the rulers of all faeries.
- Lesser Faeries: faeries that don't look human and serve other purposes.
- Daemati: are faeries that have the ability to walk into another person's mind. They are able to read, influence, and even shatter someone's mind, depending on their training and power.
- Shadowsingers: have the power of shadows and are able to control, transport, and meld into them. They are among the rare few who have the ability to hear and feel things others can't, making them excellent spymasters.
- Seers: are a rare type of faerie that is able to predict the future through visions. Similar to shadowsingers, they are able to sense and experience things others cannot and therefore are very valuable to those in the presence of one.
Fae female's menstrual cycle doesn't work like human cycles. In fact Fae have very painful cycles two times a year, supposedly every 6 months. We can also suppose that Fae female reach sexual maturity later than the average human age as we were told that Rhysand's mother first bled when she was eighteen and Morrigan first bled when she was seventeen. In certain Fae communities, like the Illyrians and in the Hewn City, once a female has bled she is ready to immediately be married to a male of her family's choosing and at this point she has to provide him offspring.
Many years before the events of A Court of Thorns and Roses humans lived in the realms of the Fae as slaves. After the War, the humans manage to free themselves and the faeries are forced to sign a Treaty that prevent them from enslaving humans again and have to create a magical wall that divides the kingdoms of the Fae from the realms of mortals.
Since then, humans hate faeries and the hatred is transmitted from generation to generation, as well as the knowledge that is had of this brutal species, such as:
- The only material that prevents them from healing is the ash wood,
- They hate iron, iron charms keep faeries away,
- They can not lie,
- Faeries can't cross the wall,
- Faeries like silver.
Of all these legends, only the first one turns out to be true since Lucien Vanserra tells Feyre Archeron that iron does not bother them at all and that they can lie all they want, that they have circulated that rumor so that humans would think that everything faeries say is the truth.
The Children of the Blessed
- Main article: Children of the Blessed
The Children of the Blessed are humans, mostly young women, who believe the faeries are good and worship them like gods. They wear silver bracelets, possibly to mimic the ones that the High Priestesses wear, and try to enroll people to cross the wall into Prythian. They are regarded in a very bad light in the human lands, and even the Fae do not take much liking to them, using them only for entertainment or as game.