Amren is part of Rhysand/Feyre’s Inner Circle, who is the second-in-command of the Night Court. She is a creature of unknown origin, that is, from another world. She was a former inmate of The Prison. She currently inhabits the body of a High Fae.
Amren is described as being several inches shorter than Feyre. She is thin, tan skinned, with chin-length black silky black hair and a pretty face bordering on plain. Amren has silver eyes that seem to swirl like smoke under glass which, at the end of A Court of Wings and Ruin, became a normal, silver color.
Amren is said to be vain, cunning, and temperamental. However, she is shown to possesses some caring qualities. For instance, she offers Feyre a necklace so that it could comfort her in The Prison. Besides that, Amren is selfless, as she sacrifices herself to save Prythian in the last battle of A Court of Wings and Ruin.
Amren is a former inmate of The Prison who is said to have escaped after a few millennium of imprisonment by binding herself to a High Fae body.
She is an extremely powerful creature of unknown origins and like Feyre, was not born High Fae, but made. She is said to be older than even Prythian and is believed to have slipped into the world from a different realm when Prythian was forming. Only to be trapped when the rift she came through closed at will.
Amren drinks blood to sustain herself and hoards baubles and belongings, threatening unspecified but deadly punishment towards anyone who would try to steal them.
Amren is introduced after Feyre takes up residence at the Night Court. She bickers often with Cassian, and scares Nuala and Cerridwen. Rhysand explains that Amren is his Second-in-command, having gained the title soon after his ascension to High Lord. She is part of his Inner Circle, and his political advisor.
When Rhysand and Feyre decide to visit the Bone Carver, Amren offers Feyre a necklace that she claimed helped her escape The Prison, threatening to hunt her down if she does not return it. She claims the necklace will prevent The Prison from holding Feyre.
Later when Feyre tries to return the necklace Amren reveals that it was simply just a piece of jewelry she found at the bottom of a drawer, given to her by Rhysand two hundred years before. She tells Feyre she gave it to her to help her find the strength and comfort to face her fears in order to go underground to The Prison, then allows Feyre to keep it.
It is said by Rhys that he has the knowledge to break the spell sealing Amren into her current body. And if he is one day forced to do so, he will ask her to end him first before unleashing her power upon the World.
Amren continues to translate the Book of Breathings, and later begins training Nesta Archeron to use the magic she stole from the Cauldron. She begins a relationship with Varian after he shows up at a meeting and kisses her.
Amren disagrees with Rhysand's plan to break the Bone Carver out of The Prison, not trusting the monster to obey orders. She later accepts it is necessary.
During the final battle with Hybern Amren makes her way to the hidden Cauldron with Feyre, intending to use their combined power to nullify its powers with the Book of Breathings. She seemingly betrays Feyre when the High Lady places her hand on the Cauldron and Amren doesn't start the spell to nullify it, but explains that the spell the Suriel told Feyre about was an unbinding spell for her. She asks Feyre to be a conduit for the spell to work, so she may take her true form and wipe Hybern's army away.
Varian arrives and begs Amren not to do this, but she sadly explains that she used to watch the humans in her world, and how they loved, and she now understands what it means because of him. She leaves a message for Rhysand and warns the two against moving when she's unbound, as it will attract her attention. She jumps into the Cauldron and Feyre uses the spell to unbind her.
Amren bursts from the Cauldron in her true form and breaks it apart. She appears as a being of pure light and fire, with burning feathered wings and a crown of light, and acknowledges Feyre and Varian before decimating Hybern's army. She burns herself away in the process. Varian is heartbroken.
The Cauldron, broken, begins leaking its essence into the world. Feyre and Rhysand use the last of their magic to fix it before it destroys reality, but Rhysand dies as the spell uses all his magic. The High Lords bring him back in the same way they did with Feyre, and he jokingly mentions they should pull Amren from the Cauldron before she catches a cold. Azriel, Varian and Mor pull her out, and Rhysand explains that she was there when the Cauldron was healing, moving on to the afterlife. He says he reached out a hand and asked if she wanted to come back. When she opens her eyes Feyre notices that her eyes are normal, and realises that Amren gave up her form and is truly a High Fae.
Back in Velaris Amren is irritated by the prospect of having to eat real food, and trades banter with Cassian before remarking to Nesta that she's surprised she didn't take the King of Hybern's head as a trophy. She is berated for making the joke in poor taste, but sarcastically states that she's entitled to say what she wants since she saved all their asses. She walks away, and Elain remarks that the new Amren is even crankier than the old one. Rhysand assures Feyre that Amren will remain his Second, and will probably develop some new terrible power to terrorise them with.
A Court of Frost and Starlight
In ACOFAS Amren is one of the only ones who accepts Nesta for who she is. Amren stops drinking blood because she has a new body. When Amren eats normal food it sometimes makes her nauseous and so she is not as inclined to eat it. Amren now is in a relationship with Varian and invites him to the Winter Solstice get-together. Varian dotes in Amren as well.
Powers & Abilities
- Semi-Immortality: Amren possesses an infinite life span and has lived for many millennia. She is even believed to be older than Prythian.
- Illusion Manipulation: She can also create visions and illusions to others by pointing her finger. The illusions can range from the feeling of choking, drowning and nightmares becoming real.
- Death by Illusion: In many instances, people can die from Amren's illusions, believing them to be real.
- Healing: She is seen healing Cassian's wings at the end of A Court of Mist and Fury. However, her healing power is limited and was not enough to cure all of Cassian's damage he sustained on his wings.
- Protective Ward Destruction: Amren can both sense and destroy protective wards, as she did during her visit to Adriata in the Summer Court, to help Feyre retrieve half of the Book of Breathings.
- Flame and Light: In her true form Amren is a being of pure light and fire, and can incinerate anything around her. This ability has limitations, as she burned herself away by using too much of this power.
- Multilingualism: Amren is known to speak the normal language spoken in Prythian and the Leshon Hakodesh, otherwise known as the Holy Tongue. It is unknown how many lanuages Amren can speak.
- Leadership: Amren is the second-in-command of the Night Court. She protected Velaris, during the battle against Hybern, while Rhysand and Feyre were absent from the Court.
- "We are lucky to have him, Feyre. I have known many High Lords. Cruel ones, cunning ones, weak ones, powerful ones. But never one that dreamed. Not as he does. "
- — Amren to Feyre
Amren and Rhysand have a close relationship. Rhysand has a high respect for her and often buys her jewellery from the Velaris palaces. Rhys confesses to Feyre that he was once stupid enough to invite her to his bed and she laughed herself hoarse and declined the offer.
- "The prick can't decide if he hates me or wants me."
- — Amren
After meeting in the Summer Court, Amren develops a complicated relationship with Varian. Varian's feelings towards her is divided between fear and interest. While, Amren is tempted by the prospect of a relationship but decides not to.
After the blood rubies were sent to the Night Court, Varian sends her a ruby necklace, which calms Amren's anger and her desires to destroy Adriata. This necklace is seen on her nightstand as if she slept looking at it.
The two start a physical relationship in A Court of Wings and Ruin and Amren indirectly says that she might love him before Feyre unbinds her. Varian is visibly relieved and happy when she emerges from the Cauldron later on.
In ACOFAS Amren invites Varian to the Solstice party and he brings her many presents from the Summer Court and eventually buys her more in Velaris. Varian fits in very well with the group as well.
- Amren reveals in ACOWAR that she has a father in her realm. He is apparently very powerful, as she speculates whether he deliberately opened the rift in their world as a gift to her.
- According to Lucien Amren is used as a bedtime story to scare young faeries into behaving.
- A Court of Mist and Fury (First appearance)
- A Court of Wings and Ruin
- A Court of Frost and Starlight
|Characters||Rhysand · Feyre Archeron · Amren · Morrigan · Cassian · Azriel · Nesta Archeron · Elain Archeron · Lucien Vanserra · Nuala · Cerridwen · Keir · Devlon · Clotho · Madja · Bryaxis · Sevenda · Rita · Thanatos · Thanatos's daughter · Rhysand's father † · Rhysand's mother † · Rhysand's sister † · Enalius|
|Locations||Cesere · Hewn City · Palace of Bone and Salt · Palace of Thread and Jewels · Rainbow of Velaris · Restaurant · Rita's · Sidra River · The Prison · Velaris · Western Isles|